Canine Training and Projects Development Manager
The Canine Training & Projects Development Manager will be responsible for managing, from our operational Head Office in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, the day-to-day training requirements of RFA Security’s EDD, Narcotic, GP and other substance detection teams. Supervision of our kennel technicians & kennel facilities is included in the remit and will report directly to the General Manager.
The ideal applicant will have 5+ years of confirmed experience in a managing role within law enforcement, the military or a similar organization. Canine handling and training experience is a must.
Familiarity with overall animal health and welfare and an enthusiasm to work with animals requiring special assistance is a must.
In addition, the Canine Training & Projects Development Manager must have a working knowledge of organizational management, planning, training plan scheduling and forecasting of both staff and training programs, facilities maintenance, equipment procurement, inventory management and budget planning. The applicant must be self-motivated, have a strong work ethic, and be willing and able to juggle many challenging priorities. The vast majority of training sessions are conducted at client deployment locations and will require travel in company vehicles to facilitate training provision. The Canine Training & Projects Development Manager will be in continuous interaction with Kennel staff and handlers as well as with other managers & senior management within RFA. As with all RFA managers, this position will require that the applicant must be licenced to EDD K9 and may require working nights, weekends, and holidays as the needs of the business directs.
A successful candidate will have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of (or be eager to learn):
- Canine training techniques, principles, and practices, as well as proper care and transport
- Food Reward and Play Reward Methodologies for training operational canines
- Canine certification standards and quality assurance assessments (NASDU, IPWDA, EOT, BS 8517-1 & 2, ISO 9001, ACS, SIA)
- Both high and low explosives, and the associated UK H&S regulations & local Police explosive regulatory requirements to correctly and legitimately store & transport explosive and hazardous materials.
- Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Adult learning / classroom facilitation / training experience a major plus
The responsibilities of the Canine Training & Projects Development Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise day-to-day operations of our canine training facility including care, cleanliness, and upkeep.
- Work together with RFA Management, Human Resources, Finance and other K9 Program Stakeholders to build training calendars and make adjustments as business needs dictate.
- Arrange, provide, and manage on site K9 team training sessions & schedules to optimize training input.
- Observe and record on site training sessions and provide tutoring to Handlers when required.
- Procure K9 through various channels and sustain supplier relationships.
- Order equipment and manage supplies inventory & associated budgets.
- Serve as liaison between Management and onsite staff ensuring clear and open communication.
- Nurture a positive and engaging working environment.
- Manage both individual contributors and teams.
- Provide planned regular training, mentoring, assessment, recording and feedback to handlers, other RFA Trainers and Instructors.
- Create and distribute comprehensive reporting related to the kennels, training classes and onsite staff under your care & control.
- Foster a positive working environment.
- Continuously evaluate and update processes and procedures to maximize efficiency
To be considered for this opportunity, a candidate must:
- Have law enforcement, military or civilian equivalent experience, and prior experience of operational deployment handling.
- Have been in a supervisory position for a minimum of 5 years.
- Be available nights, weekends, and holidays if business dictates and be available to travel outside of the UK to attend client focussed courses when required.
- Be physically fit and be able to walk, bend, and stand for extended periods of time, work in adverse conditions including inclement weather, and potentially lift, load and secure canines for transport.
- Undergo security industry vetting, Counter Terrorists Checks, financial background checks and hold or be willing to hold an SIA licence and have a full and valid UK/European driving licence, together with a valid passport.
- Salary - Starting from £36,000 pa.
- Access to company fleet vehicles for transport to training locations.
- Oyster card provided for London travel.
- Full uniform & equipment provided.
- Company funded phone provided.
- Company email address provided.
- Voluntary Pension provided.
- 28 days fully paid holiday.
- Can assist with work period accommodation.
- Future training enhancement.
- The closing date for expressions of interest is Sunday 15th March 2020.
- Initial interviews commence Monday 16th March 2020.
- Successful applicant to commence 6th April 2020.